Crazy Corny Bee's

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

See those pancakes? See how yummy and delicious it looks? See the honey drizzled all over it?

Those things were my downfall.

Ok in all seriousness, they weren't exactly my downfall. I'm still alive and kickin happily writing this post. They did make me learn a lesson though about food industry practices and what you don't know can be downright dangerous. The honey had a good chance of containing...corn. There, I said it. Corn. Apparently during the winter months bee keepers feed their lovely buzzing bee's corn syrup. Kinda wish I knew that before I consumed a massive amount of the ooey gooey sugary treat. Now I have to pay for it.

There is a silver lining to all of this:
  1. Actually snooping around the internet helped figure out why I was getting sick from little things like cereal, chocolate chips, and a handful of other things. Corn isn't a top allergen, so manufactures don't have to list it as an ingredient, or if there is a possibility of cross contamination. Makes one wonder what else they put in our food.
  2. Went on a pretty strict routine for the Candida diet. No website had any real consistent guidelines of what to eat and not eat. The only things were no sugar/gluten/yeast/mushrooms/vinegar/grains/milk, and eat lemon and limes and drink apple cider. There are probably other things that should be on there, but that's what I have been avoiding. So what I did was just wing it and add things back slowly. Yogurt and peaches is so good.
  3. Started using alternate grains such a Calloloo. Haven't heard of it? It's also known as Amaranth. Crazy huh?
  4. I'm feeling better than I have for a very long time.
With decoding my corn allergy with the powers of the internet, I heavily relied on two websites: Corn Free Foods and Corn Allergens. They have both been a godsend and helped explain so many things and helping me avoid things that aren't that obvious, like honey...

So maybe it was a good thing to eat all that honey! What, wait it wasn't?
....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...